Cheese is a humble, simple ingredient. Yet a crowd pleaser, a show stopper. Halloumi cheese is the perfect canvas. This recipe is easy and versatile. It can be stuffed in a pita, tossed through a salad. Or just be the star as a toe-curling-finger-licking-oscar-winning snack.
As any leading lady, Halloumi needs a best friend. Meet Smoked Paprika. Cue some sensual music. In walks Green Cayenne. Fireworks. Big smooch. And the rest is history.
What a beautiful union! Grab a beer, dig in and soak up the rays.
What do I need to make FIERY SMOKED HALLOUMI happen?
Serves 4, as a snack
Preparation time: 15 mins
10ml Smoked paprika
Ground black pepper
Smoked sea salt (regular coarse salt will also do the trick)
15ml Extra Virgin olive oil
500g halloumi, sliced in logs
4 Fresh green/ red cayenne peppers
Fresh mint and lemon for serving
Equipment: Griddle pan; spatula
1. Mix the cumin, smoked paprika, pepper, sea salt and olive oil into a paste
2. Place griddle pan over high heat; no oil is needed
3. Rub the halloumi logs with the paste. Show some passionate affection.
4. When the pan is smoking hot; lay the halloumi logs down
5. Grill for about 1-2 minutes on each side
6. Slice the cayenne peppers
7. Top halloumi with cayenne peppers, fresh mint and a squeeze of lemon. Dig in!