Chocolate and salad in one sentence? Yes, that is correct. It is not a typo from ESSEN’s side.
February is upon us. It is just the perfect time to break that I’ll-be-that-ripped-guy/gal-December-2015-diet. Come on, live a little. You deserve it. Especially on this Monday.
It is a foolproof recipe. The truffle itself is a perfect base. You can spice things up with extra chilli, put the comfort back with some Rooibos or even roll it in some more chocolate. The possibilities are endless. And the probability of messing it up zero to none.
Still contemplating the calories? Oh darnit, it is a bloody salad!
Seductive dark chocolate truffle salad
Makes 9 large truffles
Preparation time: 20 mins
Setting/ cooling time: Overnight
Equipment needed: electric mixer; double boiler
For the truffles
500ml Heavy cream
500g Good quality dark chocolate
For the salad (quantities according to personal taste)
Fresh mint leaves
Roasted coffee beans
Cacao powder, for dusting
1. Melt the chocolate over low heat in the double boiler, mixing constantly. When the chocolate is smooth, remove from heat and set aside to cool for 10mins
2. Add the cream to the melted chocolate. Combine with electric mixer at low speed for 2mins. Mix a further 5mins on high speed. The mixture will become slightly thicker, similar to a soft mousse consistently.
3. Pour mixture in bowl, place in refrigerator overnight.
4. The chocolate mixture would’ve set overnight. Spoon out balls, and roll in cacao powder. Work quickly, as it melts easily.
5. Harden in freezer for 10 mins.
6. Time to plate the salad. Place truffle on a platter, drizzle generously with pomegranate pips, sliced chillies, crushed coffee beans, ripped mint leaves, crushed almonds and dust cacao powder.
The most important part.
Grab a fork and build that mouth watering bite. Top topping upon topping. It’s a salad, do not feel the need to share.